Wednesday 20 March 2013

Books, Banter & Bites on my Dock…featuring Rita Monette


Photo by Brianne Boulton
Welcome to my virtual dock in the wilds of Muskoka, where it’s always sunny and warm no matter what time of the year it is. Please pull up one of the dock chairs, sit your butt down, and be prepared to be entertained and enlightened. Today, I’ve got middle-grade author, Rita Monette stopping by for a visit. If you’ve never heard of this awesome author, here’s a little background information about her:
Rita Monette was born and raised in Southwest Louisiana. After retiring from her “real” job as an administrative assistant, Rita began doing what she always wanted to do…write and paint. Five long years later, Musa Publishing offered her a contract for her debut middle grade novel, The Legend of Ghost Dog Island, which also includes her artwork. Her stories are set in the beautiful, yet mysterious, bayous and swamps of her home state. Rita now resides with her husband, four lap dogs, and one lap cat, in the mountains of Tennessee.
 
Hmm, seems Ms. Monette is running a little late, it’s almost half-past noon. Hopefully she’ll get here before the brownies I just made get too cold. Mmm…these Caramel-Pecan Brownies are to die for, loaded with 2 cups of pecans and at least 51 caramels! BTW – there’s no calories allowed on my dock, so feast away! If you think you’d be interested in the recipe, please click HERE. And if you stick around after my chat with the author, there just might be some left! Okay, so while we’re waiting for…oh here she is now! Please sit, Rita, you look flushed from your long journey! Have a brownie and a chilled glass of milk compliments of our local dairy Kawartha Dairy, who also happen to produce a variety of kick-ass ice cream!

While I’m serving up the brownies and milk, please check out the blurb on Rita’s newest release The Legend of Ghost Dog Island:

Moving is nothing new for ten-year-old Nikki Landry. Her fisherman father relocates their raggedy old houseboat several times a year in search of better crab fishing spots. However, their latest move has brought her to a mysterious bayou where she feels like something is watching her and her beloved dog Snooper from a nearby island. But when Papa tells her about a local legend that something sinister might be living nearby and stealing the souls of dogs, she fears for her constant companion’s life. Join Nikki as she seeks to discover the truth behind the legend…before it’s too late.
Love it! So, Rita, tell us where you got your idea and inspiration to write The Legend of Ghost Dog Island?
 
The idea for my book was to tell the story of my childhood...of being a levee rat and moving all the time. My characters began taking on lives of their own. They ended up doing things and going places I'd never dreamed of...and thus, The Legend of Ghost Dog Island was born.
 
What sets The Legend of Ghost Dog Island apart from other books in the same genre?

My middle grade novel is set in the 1950s. A few editors passed on the idea, and thought kids could not relate to a time before cell phones, video games, and computers. But a little research showed me that kids are indeed interested in that time. What DID kids do with themselves back in the old days? It is set in the bayous of Louisiana, which is not unique in that there are other books with that setting. However, my story is based on a real life character and a real place. So, does all that make it historical? Technically yes. But I don't actually market it that way. Historical fiction doesn't seem to be a selling factor for middle graders, as much as it's a story about a young girl, her dog, and a mysterious howling creature on a nearby island.

You had me at a mysterious howling creature! How long did it take for you to start and finish The Legend of Ghost Dog Island? 

It's hard to tell. It took me a year to begin thinking it might be ready to submit. But after about three more years of rejections, and quite a few revisions, it became really ready and really finished.

I don’t think newbie writers realize the process it takes from a seed idea to an actual published book. Do you have any advice for writers wanting to write in your genre?
 
Other than your typical writing advice, think like a kid.

LOL! Now that’s tried and true advice! So, what's next for Rita Monette the author?
 
I am working on a sequel to The Legend of Ghost Dog Island, where the characters go on another quest to solve another legend...one that involves a ghostly pirate ship and some ghostly pirates. I'm also working on a YA novel called the Zone of Fear, set in New Orleans. An excerpt (first three chapters) won first place in a writing contest, so now I have to finish it right? It remains to be seen which will be completed first. The characters in these two books keep fighting for my attention.
 
All I can say is move over Shaggy and Scooby Doo here comes Rita Monette and Snooper! I’ll be looking forward to your next release! Oh here, let me top up your glass, and please help yourself to another brownie, it’s a long ride back to Tennessee. Before you go, please let readers know where they can buy your book, and how to connect with you. Thanks for taking the time to share your novel and your wisdom with us on my dock today. Cheers and best wishes in ALL your publishing ventures, Rita.
 
Buy Links: Musa Publishing and Amazon and Barnes & Noble

Learn more about Rita Monette on her website and blog

Stay connected on Facebook and Twitter

18 comments:

  1. OMG! Sharon, this is a great addition to your posting!! I clicked on all the links and now I want to move to Canada.:)

    Rita, congratulations on an awesome book that's not just for kids. I frankly loved it and am happy to read you have a sequel in the works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support, Sloane! Isn't this area awesome? Thought I'd try something different to promote the local businesses in the area! BTW - you're welcome here anytime, my dock is your dock! Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Sharon, I LOVE your dock! Thanks for the brownies and milk. That dairy is great! I'll have to take that recipe home with me too. I so love brownies. And thank you so much for the interview. I just know your Books, Banters, and Bites will be a hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita - you still have a little brownie crumbs at the side of your mouth. Glad you enjoyed the experience! Thanks for your vote of confidence, big Sis!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the interview, Rita!
    Enjoyed visiting,Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara, you're always welcome in my neck of the woods!

      Delete
  4. I love your virtual dock Sharon. But as it is Canada I think I will bring my coat and gloves (just in case).
    The fifties is a great decade to Write about Rita ! Good luck witht the sequel.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan, hopefully you'll stop by for a visit. I'll make sure it's warmer, though. Wink.

      Delete
  5. I wanna know why she was late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polar bears stopping traffic. Stupid global warming.

      Delete
  6. Terrific interview, as usual! Sharing around. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs, Alan! Thanks for your support. Want a brownie?

      Delete
  7. Great interview, Sharon, and wonderful to learn more about Muskoka. Such a beautiful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muskoka is indeed beautiful, Amaleen! If you ever get to Canada, my dock is your dock! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful looking place you live in, Sharon. Love your dock, and boy those brownies look good. :)

    Rita, congrats on winning the contest with the YA. Hope to see it on the 'shelves' soon.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eleni! You're welcome on my dock anytime! Saved you a brownie!

      Delete
  9. Thanks all you ladies for stopping by the dock and commenting and all that stuff. I can't imagine how cold it is in Canada right now. It snowing and freezing here in Tennessee. Brrrrr. Got to get back to writing now. Thanks for the brownies Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, you waited too long, Rita. The brownies turned into hockey pucks. Wanna play hockey? Wink.

      Delete