Monday 25 July 2011

Reconnection ...

I have a problem with relaxing. Yes, you read that right. RELAXING. My dictionary quotes the meaning of relax as: to make looser, or less firm or tense: to release from intense concentration, hard work, worry. It goes on of course – to become less tense or stiff, to abate, to rest from effort, worry or work. It’s not hard for me to keep busy, but to actually sit down and relax is a bit of an enigma for me.

That is, until hubby’s little sis came by for a visit this past weekend.
The weather was more than perfect. Sunny, hot, a slight breeze – enough to keep the bugs at bay –  allowed us to add the perfect ingredients – cool beverages, a beach, three dogs, lots of sticks, sun screen, bathing suits, and pithy conversation. By the end of little sis’s stay I felt relaxed, released and rejuvenated. It was a way of reconnecting with my body, who was desperately trying to tell me to ‘take it easy’!

So what does this have to do with writing? Last post, I talked about the results of the Muskoka Novel Marathon and how I ‘felt’ the pressure of trying to write a pile of pages in three days. I felt I just couldn’t keep up with the rest of the writers, all tapping at their keyboards, producing their wares at great speeds. And as I mentioned, speed is not my forte. Somehow, I felt embarrassed, ill at ease, for only churning out 23 pages, while other steadfast writers wrote 100 pages or more. Sigh.
Now I know better. I was judging myself, and not connecting to my greatness, to my – dare I say – genius. Now, I realize I had to cut myself some slack. We all need to do that for ourselves, or we’d turn into tight, wound-up balls of energy, always on the go, and never resting. Nature teaches us to relax by just being in the sun and soaking up the warmth. It brings back balance, calms your mind and rejuvenates your body. It’s a natural way to recharge our batteries, and believe me, it feels so good! Trust me that pink ‘Energizer Bunny’ cannot keep going and going.

So, before the summer is over, do yourself a favour and have your day at the beach. It's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment